Reading this piece was a humbling experience. I had to look up lots of words that I thought I knew because my understanding of them didn’t fit into Richard Falk’s contexts. He uses words within a framework that imbue them with intense and poignant meaning. To begin at the end of his essay, he uses the word democracy. One of the definitions in The American Heritage College Dictionary, 4th Ed., defines it as “common people considered as the primary source of political power”. (377)
Falk envisions a new global community embodying the essence of democracy. His vision includes “legitimization of democratic ideas of governance on a universal basis…” (258) He says that a new dynamic of nonviolence cannot occur without the full engagement of individuals endowed with dignity and worth. We need to participate in our local and global communities full cognizant of our roles as active citizens.
Falk frames his vision of humane governance in the words “normative project”. Normative in this context is defined as new basic standards for a nonviolent global community. He breaks this into ten dimensions, evidenced through history, the past, its effect, negatively or positively, the present, which result in ideas outlining intent to new norms of behavior. He addresses the individual as part of a system influenced by education, culture, politics, environment, spirituality and society and messages the importance of accountability.
Nonviolent revolutionary politics, the sixth dimension of normative change is about replacing violence with nonviolent action. Reconstruction of a non violent world can only occur by displacement of violence. “This sense that nonviolence can challenge formidable power systems is indispensable in relation to the central struggles against war, militarism, and civic abuse of all types.” (255), but the intent has costs and is infused with devoted efforts to change within existing individual and global structures. Falk states that war is embedded within our social institutions, unmanageable because of the flux in power and authority. The outline of new norms is a way to flush out the inherent historical beliefs and assumptions that continue destruction and might provide a breath of hope.
“Complex ideas are difficult to express simply”, my husband told me when I complained to him about the density of this piece. I don’t know if this blog expresses any simplicity or it’s just pretentious. I tried to express my genuine understanding. It’s good practice.
No comments:
Post a Comment